[NA-Discuss] Pre-registration statement and ALAC - update

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Aug 26 16:47:16 UTC 2011

> You point out the following:
>
> 	o if money is not exchanged until a condition is met, that such
> 	  offers are not consumer fraud, false advertizing, etc.
>
> It could be useful to know if this view is informed by competent legal
> advice, and for which jurisdictions this view is supported by competent
> legal advice.

I work with law enforcement in a variety of countries dealing with online
crime, and I can confirm that they are vastly less interested if the
victim has no financial loss.  Arguments about opportunity costs due to
being misled aren't persuasive.

So I agree that it's sleazy, but it rates fairly low on the big list of
things to be outraged about.

Regards,