[NA-Discuss] Bottom Up Action Procedure - Was NARALO statement on pre-registration

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Aug 25 14:29:40 UTC 2011

Indeed. There are a couple of specific holes that have been indeitfied by
this particular experience:

1) There was a miscommunication regarding specifically when the policy issue
graduated from "issue under discussion" to "policy position to advance".
There is nothing on the web to which a reader could be pointed, stating the
NARALO position. The "closure" on the issue of pre-registration was in the
form of an informal "what do you think?" letter from Beau to Olivier and
other RALO chairs. This needs clarification

2) The ALAC calendar is always so packed with meta-issues imposed from above
(strategic plan, gTLD program deadlines, Nominating Committee controversies)
 that there is very little agenda room available to deal with bottom-up
issues. The Future Challenges Working Group created by ALAC (and which I
co-chair) will be starting up soon and dealing specifically with how to
steer ALAC from a reactive orientation to a proactive one. The elevation of
regional issues is critical to this shift.

3) Personally I think that the consensus model of decision making in NARALO
is not broken and therefore does not require fixing. But when using it,
determining closure -- a point where consensus has been determined and the
matter is "signed off" -- has to be clearly marked as noted above.

4) Engagement between RALOs has always, so far, been based on process. The
idea of designating a specific person in each RALO focused on policy
development is *wonderful*. Having cross-communications between each RALO's
policy people can and should be as important as the current channels between
RALO chairs and secretariats

That's it for now. Maybe more later. But it's a start.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
Em: evan at telly dot org
Sk: evanleibovitch
Tw: el56