[NA-Discuss] [At-Large] ICANN Generic Top-Level Domains (gTLD) Oversight Hearing

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Apr 29 06:44:28 UTC 2011

>> I agree that it would be nice if we had something written to submit,
>> since that goes in the record.

Some drafting points:

	o does the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), Pub.L. 79-404, 60
Stat. 237, apply? I think Michael Froomkin raised a central question
back in 2000 [1], and it is answerable in the affirmative. From this,
transparency requirements follow.

	o does the new gTLD program meet the competition policy goals of the
White and Green Papers? I think the failure of the .net redelegation
in 2004 was a warning signal, and the current proposed auto-renew for
Verisign's properties confirms that the answer is no.

	o did the development of the new gTLD program provide a structural
role for the public interest? As the GNSO exercises near total policy
control over the gTLDs, and the public interest is structurally
confined to the ALAC, and GAC, and separated from the GNSO, the answer
is necessarily "no".

	o are any applications from the United States, e.g., an application
by the Appalachian Regional Commission, qualified under the the
"applicant support" project articulated in Nairobi?

	o What does the City of New York need to do to be allowed to proceed
with its plan of record, which is to select a contractor to create the
.nyc gTLD, and operate that gTLD?

I need to think of ASN and v4 and v6 questions.

Anything else?
Eric

[1] http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=252523