[NA-Discuss] On the cost of application, and Joint Application Support related

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Apr 5 04:32:38 UTC 2011

> While I agree with Michele about DNSSEC, I do not agree about IPv6, the requirement for which is still, to my mind, primarily political.

I set up IPv6 on my web server last month and was surprised how much v6
traffic it's getting.  There are already cable and mobile networks that
can't get sufficient blocks of v4 space, so they're native v6 and connect
to the v4 net through layers of NAT.  For e-mail, it makes no difference
and it'll be many years before any mail you want will need v6, but for web
servers it makes sense to look at v6 now.

Also, if you feel that end users should be able to run their own servers
at home, you need v6 for that.

I blogged at some length on this:

http://jl.ly/Internet/v6incor.html
http://jl.ly/Internet/v6incor2.html