[NA-Discuss] The TLD-less NYC

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Apr 3 23:52:35 UTC 2011

> That's one approach. My own has been to dispute that the entire cost to date
> of the TLD policy development process -- including the grief ICANN had with
> .XXX -- should not be amortised into the cost-recovery calculations of
> applications going forward, and as such the price for everyone should drop.
> The two approaches are not mutually exclusive.

Given ICANN's inability to tie its shoes without alienating someone, the
price may well be reasonable.

If ICANN were serious about not enriching itself from the new TLD process,
they'd put the application fees for each round in an escrow account, pay
actual expenses out of that account as they occur, publishing statements
as they do so, and after the applications in the round have been disposed
of one way or another, refund what's left.  (Yes, I realize that this will
take ten years, at which point some of the applicants will have
disappeared.)  Fat chance.

Regards,