[NA-Discuss] The TLD-less NYC

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Apr 3 14:46:25 UTC 2011

I can't speak on behalf of ALAC, but I can say why I opposed the
"look at the 100k item" initially in the WG and later supported the
ALAC recommendation to exclude it from the new Charter.

I strongly believe that reductions in this component are warranted
for some select group of disadvantaged applicants. But I believe that
if ICANN does this, it will be from a willingness to help such
applicants (or perhaps more important, their planned TLDs). This is
for two reasons:

- the original development of the $100k involved, among other things,
a complex statistically-based simulation of various possibilities.
Even if it was incorrectly done, we are not likely to be able to
identify the flaw in any post-analysis that we can do;

- I believe that there are Board members who are more likely to
reject our entire package if questioning the $100k is a major component.

Alan