[NA-Discuss] Fwd: Edits and comments to NARALO/ALAC position statement on GAC scorecard

Richard Tindal richardtindal at me.com
Fri Apr 1 19:44:09 UTC 2011

i think there are some good data points:

1.     On average (this number varies from registrar to registrar) it takes consumers seven lookups to find the second level domain they want to register.  this means, in many cases,  consumers are taking their seventh choice of product.  I believe more supply will reduce that number -- giving many consumers greater satisfaction with their choice

2.     Even though the price of COM, etc names is low in the primary market there are few (if any) good names available in that market (the primary market being unregistered names available from the registry).  The secondary market is where attractive and memorable names are bought and sold.  The average price in that market in 2010, according to Sedo, was  about $2,000 per name (across all TLDs).    Some consumers who are currently paying $2,000 for an existing name will benefit from comparable new-TLD name that is considerably cheaper

3.     The experience of CO is instructive.   There are actually 900,000+ registrations in CO and there is no evidence these are predominantly protective/ infringing names -- the registry has been vigilant about trademark protection.  These names, at approx $20,  are cheaper than secondary market names in existing TLDs and more expensive than existing primary market names.  Some are for names unregistered in COM (as are many names in BIZ/INFO/ etc).  Its interesting to note that even where the customer could have paid less for a comparable COM name many have chosen CO at a higher price.   The point I'm trying to make is that there is large, pent up demand for good domains from regular, everyday users.   This demand is so strong it has caused many to register CO at prices above the COM, primary market price.     (Note:   When CO faces competition from numerous new TLDs I think its price point will be pushed down)

I understand your argument about the relationship of names and good web content, but I think content is less useful if fewer people access it due to a poor domain name.

I think there's good evidence of consumer demand for new TLDs but even if I'm wrong I don't understand the unwillingness to test this in the real marketplace.     If there is not consumer demand for these things then they will fail and the market will revert to status quo.

To me the Internet is strong and increasingly useful because it grows at a rapid pace and in relatively unconstrained ways.   However,  while the rest of the Internet grows in this manner the domain space remains locked in debate and inertia.     Let's give ordinary consumers the ability to support new TLDs or not --  if they buy new names and renew them I was right and you owe me a beer.  If I'm wrong I'll be your greeter next time you visit Walmart.