[lac-discuss-en] RES: REPRESENTATIVE LACRALO-ALAC to NomCom

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Fri Jul 13 18:39:37 UTC 2012

Hi Sylvia
I see the error.
The ALAC representatives to NomCom are not liaisons. The NomCom Chair
of the new year sends a request to the SOs and ACs for names to
constitute their NomCom. Traditionally, upon receipt of this request,
the ALAC asks the regions for names to be submitted for their
consideration. There is no election. The ALAC can choose whomever they
like, from the names sent from the region, or someone else entirely,
as long as the person is a citizen of or resident in the region for a
minimum period of time, which I believe is 5 years.

If we go back to the emails from Olivier and Cheryl posted to the
LACRALO list last year, I believe they made the process clear.

The rules governing the NomCOm are in the ICANN Bylaws, not in the
ALAC procedures as far as I know. The new NomCom is seated by the
Board at the end of the Annual General Meeting, which is the
October/November meeting. At that time, the old NomCom is disbanded.

In the past, the ALAC has chosen many different people to put on the
NomCom, quite a few of whom were not RALO members.

Maybe this information should be put in the AtLarge wiki, so that
everyone is clear on the process.

Jacqueline A. Morris
Technology should be like oxygen: Ubiquitous, Necessary, Invisible and
Free. (after Chris Lehmann )