[IDN-WG] Request for comments to IDN and UA preliminary scorecards in context to Subsequent Procedures

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 03:35:12 UTC 2020

Thanks, Bill.

All,

I guess I am looking for answers to a few high-level questions.

In  Internationalized Domain Names draft preliminary scorecard as at 16 Feb
2020
<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/111390697/02.%20DRAFT%20At-Large%20SubPro%20Scorecard%2016.02.2020%20-%20IDNs%20Internationalized%20Domain%20Names.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1581914542839&api=v2>
under
'Pending Issues':

*Point 8.  RZ-LGRs limited to generating IDN variants*
Q1. What about when RZ-LGRs are not yet in existence? Should absence lead
to variant label being blocked or not being able to be allocated?

 ....*"the ICANN Board resolved on 25 September 2010 that "no variants of
gTLDs will be delegated ... until appropriate variant management solutions
are developed." Subsequent work by ICANN organization and the community led
to the identification of two issues: (i) there is no accepted definition
for variant TLDs, and (ii) there is no 'variant management' mechanism for
TLDs.*

*The first issue is addressed by the Root Zone Label Generation Rules
(RZ-LGR) Project
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/root-zone-lgr-2015-06-21-en>. To
address the second issue, ICANN organization is working with the community
to develop mechanisms for IDN variant TLD implementation."*

Source:
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/idn-variant-tld-implementation-2018-07-26-en

Q2. Are scripts for which RZ-LGRs Project does not yet cover in danger of
potential/incidence of hijacking, abuse etc because no LGRs currently exist
for those scripts?

*Point 11. Coordination with IDN Variant Management Framework*
Q3. If the answer to Q2 is yes, then does the IDN Variant TLD
Implementation (4.0?)
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/idn-variant-tld-implementation-2018-07-26-en>Framework
provide adequate insight and/or solution to this issue?

*Point 9. Bundling of SL IDN variants*
Bill's comments below appears to raise an issue of SLD confusion involving
IDN characters (perhaps I'm not using the correct term but Bill has
described an example below) where harm exists - whether it is exploited
through malicious acts or not.

Q4. Do rules for bundling of SL IDN variants even consider this? Or it is
an issue that goes far beyond bundling?

Q5. What could be done to better address this issue? Would requiring "*registry
contracts be modified to require that SLDs which differ only by variants
(and confusables) be blocked*." be an acceptable solution?

Thanks,
Justine