[IDN-WG] Fwd: Re: emoji (was Re: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt)

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Mar 14 16:15:21 UTC 2017

Fun stuff...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: emoji (was Re: I-D Action:
draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt)
Date: 	14 Mar 2017 15:00:21 -0000
From: 	John Levine <johnl at taugh.com>
To: 	idna-update at alvestrand.no
CC: 	Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com

In article <CY1PR21MB00718E0D499C1A0E0895CA1282220 at CY1PR21MB0071.namprd21.prod.outlook.com> you write:
>The fact that pretty much all of the browsers enable stuff that IDNA2008 explicitly forbids ...

I just spot checked Chrome (Mac and Android), Firefox, and Safari, and
all of them displayed emoji names in URI domain names as A-labels.  If
you want to try it, I have a handy wildcarded link farm.

In all of my browsers, this one displays as three random Chinese
characters:

http://xn--google.web.sp.am/

This one is a lock emoji followed by "google" and displays as an A-label.

http://xn--google-hj64e.web.sp.am/

This one is two piles of poop, also displays as an A-label.

http://xn--ls8ha.web.sp.am/

If you want to try other stuff, http://<anything>.web.sp.am will return a
live harmless web page.

Also see this M3AAWG BCP from last year, based on what Google does,
but endorsed by and I believe implemented by other M3AAWG members:

https://www.m3aawg.org/sites/default/files/m3aawg-unicode-best-practices-2016-02.pdf

R's,
John