[IDN-WG] [ALAC] The Problem of IDNs

Edmon edmon at isoc.hk
Mon May 12 05:26:37 UTC 2014

I think it is very important for ICANN to take the issue of "Universal Acceptance of IDN" seriously and take a central role in the coordination and facilitation of bringing together the stakeholders so that the issue can be addressed.

The issue in my mind is 2 fold, including 1. a technical side and 2. an advocacy side

After many years of discussion, I strongly believe ICANN is the right forum and place for this coordination and gathering of stakeholders to take place, even as ICANN itself nor its immediate community can "solve" the issue.

Following from the JIG Final Report on the issue, of which of course I was very much involved, I hope that ICANN could make this a strategic item, at the level (at least) of advocating for IPv6 and DNSSEC.

Also, we must start with our own community, the registries and registrars and make sure we have those systems for which ICANN policies can directly influence to be fully IDN aware so that users can not only register IDNs but use them at least to setup nameservers, dns hosting, web hosting and emails.

In my mind, the ideal approach ICANN could take would be to convene a community wide steering group that would include participants from all organs of ICANN, including ALAC, GAC, ccNSO, GNSO, SSAC, RSSAC in fact ASO as well, but not stop there, ICANN should also help invite participants from other parts of the Internet community including application level organizations e.g. WITSA, as well as W3C, IETF, etc.

The group should work with an ICANN staff team to produce:
1. A set of best practices for IDN Acceptance in systems (based on and consolidating from the experience already in the community)
2. Set of measurements of IDN Acceptance (so we can continue to track and measure our progress)
3. Continued study measuring IDN Acceptance on the internet (including domain registries and registrars)

The group does not need to meet all the time like GNSO working groups, we just need to meet maybe 2-3 times a year and keep track of the progress and to make sure we move forward methodically.  Such meetings could ideally coincide with ICANN meetings, again where we would invite other parts of the internet community to join.

Well... the above is my wish :-D
ICANN board seems have not considered the JIG report yet and am not sure what their schedule or priority level is on the issue... Though, here at the APTLD meetings, I heard encouraging presentation from Ed Lewis of ICANN that finally there is a change in the attitude of ICANN staff that ICANN has a role to play in this.

In any case, as mentioned briefly in Singapore, I think maybe ALAC can take the lead on forming that community wide steering group...

Edmon