[IDN-WG] Draft Statement on TMCH and Variants

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 02:13:03 UTC 2013

Dear Hong,

I am sorry to hear that you lost your wiki page.  I was not aware that you
had set one up and I didn't see a link/URL of the page sent to the Working
Group.  I do suggest checking with At-Large staff to see whether there was
a glitch.

Regarding whether the LGR process is relevant to the TMCH, I have consulted
3 leading IDN Variant experts, who have multi-script expertise including
Han.  They all indicated that the LGR is implicated for the TMCH and that
the current TMCH model affects several languages with Chinese being
affected the most.  Even if you choose to disregard the LGR process for the
Root Zone, you still need something akin to the LGR process specifically
for the purposes of the TMCH.  I have also consulted Edmon on this matter.
He concurred that there are alternative pathways, but seemed to prefer the
LGR process.  In my opinion this makes sense because there is a strong case
for having an expedited LGR process for the Han script, which the experts
support.  With an expedited LGR process for Han, there won't need to be a
duplication of efforts for the Root Zone as well as for the TMCH.

Jean-Jacques has indicated why the emphasis on competent staff is important
to facilitate the process.  I have added the emphasis on working in tandem
with members of the community with the relevant expertise to ensure a
successful outcome, which is consistent with the need for a bottom-up
approach that you highlighted.

I have listened and taken note of community feedback on your draft very
carefully and I have tried my best to factor these input in the revised
version.  I have also gone out of my way to consult experts.  In my opinion
the statement is strong. It advocates for all languages impacted, with a
special consideration for Han, and it makes concrete and specific
recommendations to the Board on next steps, which are doable.  The Board
needs and appreciates recommendations that indicate where to direct ICANN
resources to address a problem when a problem is identified for their
attention.  I think that the ALAC would support this statement.

Best regards,

Rinalia