[IDN-WG] ALAC Statement to the ICANN Board on IDN Prioritization in the new gTLD Program

Rinalia Abdul Rahim rinalia.abdulrahim at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 16:33:32 UTC 2012

Dear IDN Working Group,

In Prague we agreed that we would initiate an ALAC statement on IDN
prioritization in the new gTLD program targeted at the ICANN Board.  Below
is a working draft (initial and very rough) to trigger the process.  Please
see the internal notes at the end of the statement for context.

Please do comment to strengthen the content.  JJS - a request for a
suitable concluding paragraph.

Staff will post the WIKI link of this draft to the group for the comment
process.

Best regards,

Rinalia

 *
*

*At-Large Advisory Committee Statement** to the ICANN Board *

*on Prioritization of Internationalized Domain Names in the New Generic Top
Level Domain Program*

* *

*The At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) *notes with concern that
Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) Top Level Domains represent only 6% of
the total application for ICANN’s new* *generic Top Level Domain (gTLD).  We
urge the ICANN Board to prioritize and expedite the evaluation and
processing of IDNs in the new gTLD program based on the following rationale:

 ·       Globalization is a key strategic priority for ICANN.  IDN
prioritization presents an opportunity for ICANN to enhance its engagement
and outreach to Internet users and expand consumer choice, which serve the
global public interest.

·       IDN prioritization is crucial for enhancing diversity and
multilingualism on the Internet.  The implementation of IDNs in a world
that is multilingual and multicultural makes the Internet more inclusive
and representative of the world that we live in.

·       The IDN Top Level Domain applications are distinct in that they are
generally not driven by business opportunities and require supportive
policy and encouragement.  The market for IDNs needs to be nurtured
carefully for future growth.   The small number of applications should not
be interpreted as a lack of user demand for IDNs.  Rather, it makes evident
that market forces at the registry level alone is insufficient, and that
the advancement of IDN gTLDs requires supportive policy implementation at
ICANN. The successful implementation of IDN TLDs will gradually create
visibility for IDNs, which will eventually stimulate demand among
communities who would otherwise be marginalized.

·       Other points?

Internal Note [about this draft statement]:

1. Inputs drawn from discussion at the At Large IDN Working Group Meeting
in Prague.

2. Does not address Applicant Support issue, which is addressed in another
statement.

3. Does not address the issue of variants (variants are complicated – this
statement sends a message that we want IDNs prioritized as a matter of
policy and leaves the “doability” of variants open for discussion at the
implementation level)

4. Does not use “small size of application makes it easy to process” as a
rationale because we would push for prioritization regardless of number of
application.