[IDN-WG] meeting again Thu 9:30-11am [RE: response on VIP Project plan]
edmon at isoc.hk
Tue Mar 13 23:03:34 UTC 2012
Based on the feedback and discussions we had with the VIP team during our Monday session, I was hoping we could try to meet up further this week to prepare our response to the VIP Project plan.
Looking at the agenda, would like to suggest:
Thursday, March 15
9:30 - 11am
I wonder if the time may work for most people...
In the meantime, I will also prepare some notes highlighting the core issues of the project plan based on the feedback from the group so far and circulate it to the list by Wednesday night (probably late night or very early am Thu).
In our Monday meeting, we suggested for the extension of the public comment period as well as setting up a webminar to allow for At-Large to better understand the issues as well. Would like to talk further about that as well if we could meet Thursday.
PS. Also, ALAC staff team, I wonder if any signup rooms may be available at that time. We should not need other support.
From: idn-wg-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org [mailto:idn-wg-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] On Behalf Of Edmon Chung
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 4:23 AM
To: idn-wg at atlarge-lists.icann.org
Subject: [IDN-WG] response on VIP Project plan
Here is a very brief skeleton for discussion of our response to the VIP Project Plan (http://www.icann.org/en/resources/idn/idn-vip-proposed-project-plan-20feb12-en.pdf):
1. General ALAC Position
- reiterate our support for IDN and IDN Variants
- reiterate IDN's importance on multilingualism, etc.
- reiterate our concerns for continued delay on the implementation of IDN Variant TLDs
2. Budget & Process
- Previous ALAC comment from FY13 https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/31166974/ALAC+Statement+on+the+Framework+for+the+FY+13+Budget.pdf?version=2&modificationDate=1331327978359
- transparency of process for which the budget for VIP was developed
- explanation on consultants vs. volunteers (was the original VIP results not satisfactory?)
3. ALAC Concerns
- lack of clarity or clear need on some projects (project 3)
- theoretic/grandiose approach (projects 1&2) versus practical implementation (spirit of the Internet)
- need to better distinguish issues not specific to IDN Variant TLDs (project 4)
- out of scope for ICANN (project 5)
- cart before the horse (project 6)
4. ALAC Advice
- concentrate efforts to implement IDN Variant TLDs for communities who are ready
- leverage already available expertise and experience from the community
- direct funding to other IDN communities to support the bottom-up development of IDN policies from the language community
- refocus on ICANN Scope (projects 7 & 8)
Feel free to start the discussion on this mailing list and we will continue at our meeting on Monday (http://costarica43.icann.org/node/29525)
PS. If it is agreeable, would also like to invite the VIP team to our discussion
IDN-WG mailing list
IDN-WG at atlarge-lists.icann.org
IDN WG Wiki: https://st.icann.org/idn-policy/index.cgi?at_large_idn_policy
More information about the IDN-WG