[IDN-WG] response on VIP Project plan

Edmon Chung edmon at isoc.hk
Sat Mar 10 20:57:53 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

Here is a very brief skeleton for discussion of our response to the VIP Project Plan (http://www.icann.org/en/resources/idn/idn-vip-proposed-project-plan-20feb12-en.pdf):

1. General ALAC Position
	- reiterate our support for IDN and IDN Variants
	- reiterate IDN's importance on multilingualism, etc.
	- reiterate our concerns for continued delay on the implementation of IDN Variant TLDs
	- ...

2. Budget & Process
	- Previous ALAC comment from FY13 https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/31166974/ALAC+Statement+on+the+Framework+for+the+FY+13+Budget.pdf?version=2&modificationDate=1331327978359
	- transparency of process for which the budget for VIP was developed
	- explanation on consultants vs. volunteers (was the original VIP results not satisfactory?)
	- ...

3. ALAC Concerns
	- lack of clarity or clear need on some projects (project 3)
	- theoretic/grandiose approach (projects 1&2) versus practical implementation (spirit of the Internet)
	- need to better distinguish issues not specific to IDN Variant TLDs (project 4)
	- out of scope for ICANN (project 5)
	- cart before the horse (project 6)

4. ALAC Advice
	- concentrate efforts to implement IDN Variant TLDs for communities who are ready
	- leverage already available expertise and experience from the community
	- direct funding to other IDN communities to support the bottom-up development of IDN policies from the language community
	- refocus on ICANN Scope (projects 7 & 8)
	- ...