[IDN-WG] [At-Large] The New gTLD Progam in CLASS IN is no more a swindle

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Jan 12 01:06:16 UTC 2012

At 18:07 11/01/2012, Avri Doria wrote:
>Hi,
>Two questions on this.

Hi! Avri,
I will try to collect the questions raised and answer to produce and
maintain an IUTF FAQ.

>- wouldn't he be looking for support of these new Classes in
>addition to Class IN, not instead?

This is something the user is to decide in the way he/she config the
ML-DNS. A class is like a language: a way to describe the network
topology which is built by the addresses. There may be conflicts and overlaps.

For exemple, let take the CLASS "FM" for families. Existing
registries could have a filtered version of their "IN" CLASS registry
pn their "FM" CLASS IRN (International Root Name) server.

>- doesn't this break because DNS Alias records pay no attention to
>Class and therefore aliased names would collide despite being in
>different classes?

Lutz has addressed this.

The IUTF basic principle is that what is a "MUST" decided by the IETF
is a "IS" for the IUTF, something it is totally unable to change.
CLASSes are of the essence of the IDNS for 40 years (even before the
Internet). IDNS also initially included a reroute capacity as in the
MX case, which might be of interest in the Web 2.0. Some other ideas
may emerge. However, they can only come in addition, not as
alternatives, and be operated in subsidiarity. This means also that
not a single bit is to be changed in the underlaying protocols.

Best
jfc