[IDN-WG] Draft Statement of Working Group

Edmon Chung edmon at isoc.hk
Wed Nov 16 00:50:42 UTC 2011

Moving this discussion to the IDN-WG mailing list.

And also including a shortened and specific statement drafted in response to the VIP studies (attached).

Just a short note incorporating some of the ideas from Sala's draft, and a couple of specific advices to the VIP:

1. given the different types of IDN variant issues identified, to also report on which issues should be dealt with as IDN variants and which ones may in fact be more general user-confusability issues that should be dealt with by other mechanisms (e.g. those akin to small letter "L" -> "l" and capital letter "i" -> "I") that is in place.

2. given that there seems to be different level of readiness of implementation between the different language communities, to ask the VIP to identify the readiness and make recommendations that do not disadvantage those that are ready.

I understand that the public comment period has closed, but I think we can still present this to the VIP team and make sure they take it into consideration.

Will also plan to circulate this to the ALAC list shortly for consideration.

Edmon