[EURO-Discuss] 2021 EURALO Regional Selections (Secretariat)

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at donnerhacke.de
Tue May 11 07:59:20 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 06:58:41AM +0000, SCHWEIGHOFER Erich Prof. Dr. Dr.. via EURO-Discuss wrote:
> I think that the N.F. has done a good job, promoting topics and those she
> considers important. As secretary, she has the discretion to do that, in
> co-operation with the Chair.

I second that. Natalia is doing an excellent job.

> As a former NomCom member, I do a routine job on checking details.
> Here, I am worried that she shows - on her face book account - great
> enthusiasm about the great victory of the Communists in the 2nd World War
> without mentioning war crimes of the Red Army and the Secret Services of
> the USSR. That is strongly questionable.

Please allow me to disagree.

First, it's her private account.  Involvment in ICANN does not stop you from
having your own position to historical and current developments.  The only
questionable part would be, if the mix of private messages and offical ones
becomes an uttlery, indistinguishable mess.

To underline this point: I have a problem with a person who mixes private
(political) interests into ICANN related discussions, especially if this
occurs regularly and without a reasonable context.  I do not have a problem
with a private timeline which points to ICANN related content (retweeting,
sharing, ...).

Second, statements are never complete.  The world and the human history is a
complex web of interconnections, long lasting narratives, and decisions,
which must be interpreted differently in different (historical) contexts.
Applying a different point of view to a specical event is hard, even if this
is done within the same historical epoch.  The communication context does
not allow to weight the various aspects every time, often it's considered as
a strange, absurd bevaviour.

Third, there is no univeral truth.  As growing up in the GDR (former East
Germany) I experienced the trasformation to the reunification of Germany as
a member of the east german army (NVA).  I've seen both sides of propaganda,
simultanously.  I've learned, that every narrative told to the people is
partially wrong, partially true.  At the moment we do hold up "western
ethics", i.e. universal human rights, which we (at least in Europe) break
ourselfs every day in the Mediterranean Sea for selfish reasons.

Consequently, I'd also like to see a clarification regarding the private
account for ICANN related stuff, but I'm personally unable to judge.  For
ourself, we have to decide, how we weight Outreach vs. Integrity in general.

Do we like our message transported by a messenger, which also distributed
other messages, we don't like?  How do we like to be threated by others, if
we are broadcasting the ICANN message outselfs?