[EURO-Discuss] EuroDIG

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 17:27:15 UTC 2020

Dear all,

As you know, I am part of the local organising team for EuroDIG 2021, that will take place in Trieste next June. As you also know, we will hold the EURALO AGM 2021 in the margins of the same event. I was therefore wondering whether we could take the most out of the fact that these two events will take place at the same time - or maybe adjacent one another.

Sébastien has indicated that outreach is one of the objectives that we want to achieve by having the EURALO AGM in conjunction with EuroDIG. One way to make this outreach more effective would be to be able to attract to EuroDIG organizations and individuals that are potentially interested in improving the presence of the Internet Users in the Internet Governance processes.

As you know, the planning phase of EuroDIG 2021 has already started. The programme will be drafted based on the response received to the Call for Issues, that is already active and will close in a couple of weeks, on the 6 December. See https://www.eurodig.org/get-involved/planning-process/#tab-call-for-issues for further information on the planning process and the Call for Issues itself.

My personal opinion is that we should propose items for discussion that are directly reflecting the topics of interest of At-Large and EURALO, like “the role of Internet Users in Internet Governance”, “Obstacles to user participation to IG processes”, or similar.

I believe also that, due to the pandemic situation, there is much more interest to topics related to Internet - and therefore to its governance - than before. I remember years ago, in the early times of ALAC, I have contacted a large number of consumer protection organizations to try to get them to apply to become an ALS: almost all of them replied that they have much more important issues to deal with. Now the world has changed and given the increase in the online presence a lot of new issues have become more important - online frauds, just to make one example.
All this to say that if we have topics about, for instance, “Consumer protection in Internet times” we could attract to EuroDIG some of these organizations and have the opportunity to explain what is At-Large and how they could contribute. But this requires the submission of appropriate topics to the EuroDIG Call for Issues - and this is something that I cannot do, as organiser, but you could, if you believe that this could be important for the growth of EURALO.

Best regards,
Roberto