[EURO-Discuss] Guide-to-effective-participation-in-virtual-meetings

Michiel Leenaars michiel at staff.isoc.nl
Mon Nov 2 10:36:40 UTC 2020

Dear Sandra,

thanks for this guide, very useful! I have some suggestions:

- the recommendation to use a camera is not uncontroversial. Not
everyone lives under economic and personal circumstances where it is
feasible to expose their personal living space to others for a long
period of time. The pandemic circumstances make it difficult to move
outdoors. By making the use of a camera the norm, essentially people can
feel socially pressured and awkward if they do not turn on the camera.

- Livestreaming and recording events makes that even worse. People
should always have the possibility to view their own recording before it
is made public for eternity. And inform the host that they do not wish
to be recorded, preferably anonymously. Video streams could then be
removed from the edited recording.

- Also, if people are streaming with their wonderful flagship device
high resolution camera from their well-designed urban loft, others with
less bandwidth and less recent hardware might have a bad meeting because
of that. Bandwidth limitations are a collective property, not just how
an individual is connected. There is definitely something to be said for
teleconferences, even given the ubiquity of camera's we find ourselves
today the value we had in those for the last decades is not gone just
yet. The moderator can help to assure that everything is broadly
understood, and can provide e.g. notes in the chat.

- I would think that a similar best practices guide for host
organisations would be very welcome. Most notably in the use of privacy
respecting, cross-platform tools, providing real-time text and
transcriptions. I find the trend that people are forced to download
proprietary apps that send their biometric data (video, voice) abroad,
merely to participate in public events disturbing. Desktop apps like
Cisco webex or Zoom have proven to be a security risk [1] [2], and are
not equally available to all. WebRTC based, open source solutions like
Jitsi, Sylk and BigBlueButton that can be hosted by oneself or
trustworthy parties deserve more attention.

- For translation of the document, you could look at an open source tool
like weblate [3] to manage the flow. Maintaining translations of a
living document with multiple languages without translation memory is
very tiring, and unnecessarily exhausts translators - not for the first
translation, but for incremental ones.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Michiel Leenaars