[EURO-Discuss] Draft Board Report (2012-13) for Lisbon GA

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue May 21 21:11:23 UTC 2013

Dear Wolf,

thank you for making this excellent report available.

My comments, following the order of your report's section numbers, are
laid out here:

"2. EURALO representations"

In this section you mention re: the ICANN Academy which is in fact only
the "Leadership Programme" of the ICANN Academy, that "The first pilot of
this project is foreseen for the ICANN 47 meeting in Durban in July this
year."

This is incorrect. I believe that the pilot would be set for the Buenos
Aires meeting. I'll let Sandra correct this accordingly.

Further, may I suggest that the Academy initial proposal has evolved a
lot since the beginning and the work of the two WGs, both version 1,
https://community.icann.org/display/Improve/At-Large+ICANN+Academy+Ad-Hoc+Working+Group
and the expanded cross-community version 2,
https://community.icann.org/display/Improve/At-Large+ICANN+Academy+Expanded+Working+Group+Workspace
and these might therefore be better starting points for relating to the
work of the working group.

"4. Out-reach and In-reach"
LACRALO might have found a way to improve participation, and that's to
have its monthly call extended to 90 minutes instead of 60 minutes, but
each monthly call contains a 30-45 minute Capacity Building Webinar,
where they invite an expert from ICANN, sometimes a staff member,
sometimes someone from another part of ICANN's community, sometimes an
in-house expert, to speak about a subject and answer questions. It is
hoped that as a result, more people from ALSes will start understanding
the issues better and take a more active part in the work. This appears
to have worked so far, with increased participation on the monthly call.

There are other initiatives which have been tried by LACRALO and I'll be
happy to share them with everyone during the Face to Face in Lisbon,
whether during the formal F2F or the informal one before.

Yesterday I did a short Webinar for APRALO, and repeated it in its
entirety to LACRALO, which explains the ALAC policy development process.
How Statements get written? What is the involvement of an ALAC member in
his/her region? What do RALO leaders have to do to engage ALSes? Indeed,
how can ALSes be heard? The talk is around 30 minutes and I'd be happy
to engage in Lisbon for it. As a result, please be so kind to find the
slide deck attached and consider tabling 30 minutes either during the GA
agenda or informally before.

"5. Individual Membership"
Let's define an interim Chair of this and a set of members, who may
already be members of ALSes, acting in an interim capacity, as
Christopher Wilkinson has suggested during the EURALO call. I believe
that the "home" needs to be built before it starts getting filled with
individual members. And I believe that individual members will come when
the home is built.

able to be an ALS *representative* in another region, this is forbidden
in the ALAC bylaws for a reason to make sure there might not be a
possibility of manipulation/capture. It is 99.9% sure that this cannot
change because any change to this rule would need approval from the ALAC
and approval from the Board and I don't see this happening ever.

Of course, there is no rule against being a simple member of several
ALSes. I am a member of 3 ALSes in 3 different regions; some are members
of more than 3, in different or in the same region, it doesn't matter.

These are my notes for the time being. Looking forward to replies.

Kind regards,

Olivier