[EURO-Discuss] R: R: WG: Regional Advice requested. Association Dot. HIV 173 / Germany

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 21:17:35 UTC 2012

Thanks, Bill, I like to be considered "postmodern" ;>)
The point is not "disaggregating organizations to fit the boxes", but from
my point of view to frame the boxes in the best way to optimize
contribution.
I can hardly think of organizations that have hundreds of thousands of
employees and presence in all continents (or ICANN regions) where the point
of view can be summarized by one contribution in one single "box".
To make a practical example, how can the IP lawyers of, say, IBM, bring
their views in ICANN if they are allowed only to be in the business
constituency? And then, if they run a TLD, must they withdraw from BC or
abstain from applying as registry? How can ICANN take benefit from the ideas
that come from the different souls of, let's say, Google or Microsoft, if we
need to frame the whole company to be in just one single box?
I know it is a difficult issue, but I am just wondering what would be the
best approach for making ICANN more inclusive of all opinions.
Back to the practical problem at hand, can we for instance accept the new
ALS, requiring that they recuse themselves from participating in issues
related to registry and registrar operations?
Cheers,
R.