[Euro-board] EURALO Individual Users

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 16 18:27:59 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Please find below some notes on where we are with the EURALO Individual Users and what are the next steps.
I am not sure that there is a need for an in-depth discussion tomorrow, but for sure the Board needs to be informed and possibly advice.

There is progress with the SOI, that will become compulsory for RALO Individual Members. We have now 78 members of which 31 have completed an SOI - see https://individualusers.org/our-members-community/.

I have some questions that need to be answered, here below:

  1.  some people have the GNSO SOI - is this sufficient or do they need to fill in an At-Large SOI as well? I note that some questions are different, but OTOH would it be an overkill to ask for two separate documents (that, moreover, should be kept in synch)
  2.  we have 5 observers, 2 of which have an SOI - do we consider that the obligation to have an SOI would hold for them as well? They do not have a vote, and in general are individuals from another ICANN region, so I assume that they have similar rules in their region

The membership list at https://atlarge.icann.org/individual-members/euralo is not up-to-date - you can compare it with https://individualusers.org/our-members-community/. The synchronisation has worked fine up to the first months of 2022, but this is no longer the case. I don’t understand what the problem is, I have sent requests as usual, as well as a remainder after the EURALO Days but nothing is happening. I am confident that the problem will eventually be solved but in the meantime our reputation will suffer, in particular with new members who might not understand what is so complicated in updating a web page.

Of course, since the new procedure - as recommended by the UIM-WP and approved by ALAC - will make EURALO Staff the entry point, I assume that the problem will disappear, but honestly I do not see this coming soon, considering that not much has happened in the last couple of years.

We are planning to have a renewal of the leadership. this means to run new elections. My target is to have the new leadership operational by - or before - ICANN 76. This means to have elections at the latest at the end of February 2023. Most of the work is on me, but there is one thing that is outside my control: the actual running of the vote. This implies time from staff, and I understand that a couple of weeks before an ICANN meeting might not be the best choice, as staff will be busy with many other things. Therefore I need to have some advice in order to set a date that is reasonable and feasible.

Best regards,
Roberto