[At-Large] Voting seat for CEO Was: Re: ICANN75: Mandatory Funded Traveler Registration for Roberto Gaetano

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Jul 27 19:26:00 UTC 2022

One of the things that has long concerned me about ICANN is that the
method of filling board seats tends to create a board of directors that
is more a board of passive worthies who may not fully understand their
duties and who tend to not fully understand their powers.  The result
is, as we have seen, an imbalance in which the board of directors
largely sits and watches while the hired executives and an ever
expanding staff run roughshod and unrestrained.

I am not aware of the current arrangement, but many of ICANN's
Presidents (that is the word used in the bylaws, "president" of which
CEO is merely one of his/her tasks) is not hired directly but, rather is
linked to ICANN by a contract with a professional services corporation
that markets the person to ICANN via a contract with that corporation,
that in turn, is the employer of that person.  This is a really weird
arrangement because it substantially muddies the legal relationship
between ICANN, that professional services corporation, and the person
with the title "President".  I always thought that this was an ill
advised practice that ought to have been avoided in the past and ought
not be used in the future.

ICANN's President is a hireling, not a king.

ICANN's board *does* have the ability and power and right to remove any
officer, including the President, at any time.  That means plucking that
person out of his/her box on the org chart or redefining the duties and
title of any box on that org chart.

Now, that does mean that the employment contract is voided and that
ICANN and the former officer simply part ways.

One of the definitions of a contract is that it is an agreement over how
much it will cost to *not* do what you promised to do. And a principal
of American law (and the law of many other places) is that civil matters
can usually be compensated with the payment of money.  (Note that I used
the word "compensated".  Punitive remedies not related to actual harms
and losses are usually frowned upon.)

So if ICANN's board says "bye bye" to a President, or substantially
changes his/her duties (such as eliminating the ex-officio seat on the
board) then that President can claim that the employment contract was
breached and that he/she is owned compensation.  That compensation is
usually established by the contract as liquidated damages (i.e. money)
or is computed and converted into a monetary amount.  (California law
generally frowns on "penalty" amounts that are not tied to actual loss
of contractual benefits.)  Only rarely are breached contract provisions
remedied through what is called "specific performance", such as an order
to transfer a specific house or a specific painting rather than paying
money damages.  It is likely that changing ICANN's President's
employment status or duties would be insufficient grounds for a court to
order specific performance to keep the President in the prior status and
role.

So, if ICANN removes its President or changes his/her duties, ICANN may
have a lingering obligation to pay salary and benefits to that person.
Or a severance fee or liquidated damages may have to be paid.  ICANN
could soften the blow and make the event look prettier to the public by
retaining the person with some poo-bah title that carries no authority.

The point I'm making here is that the person who argued that ICANN is
not able to change its bylaws and not have the President as an
ex-officio, voting member of the board of directors is not adequately
informed.

Yes, such a change could have a transient cost that runs through the end
of the employment contract and could lead to some minor litigation over
things like titles and other poo-bah mooing by a President who objects
to being removed from the board of directors, but still retains the job
of President/CEO, including the salary and benefits.

So the cleaner approach is to make that change to the bylaws but have it
take effect upon the end of the present term of the employment agreement.

         --karl--