[At-Large] Ukraine, .RU, and internet governance

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Mar 15 07:30:55 UTC 2022

On 15/03/2022 03:28, Barry Shein via At-Large wrote:
> Personally I doubt Putin cares much about control of the internet
> other than for his own internal political purposes.

Internet is only but a small subset of the Russian IT market, which
stands (stood) at 2.7% of GDP, employing only 1.7% of the population.
Yes, there were 124 million Internet users, but Internet is not,
economically, as important to Russia's economy as it is in the West.
Source (in happier times):
https://www.trade.gov/country-commercial-guides/russia-information-communication-technology

Putin would probably rather see the Internet shut down, so as to have
full control over propaganda. Much like in North Korea. Will Russian
people allow this? Remember the Internet shut down in Egypt - and the
Role of media disruption on 28 January 2011?

Kindest regards,

Olivier