[At-Large] ICANN Accountability Mechanisms

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Jan 3 09:45:30 UTC 2022

On 1/2/22 6:16 PM, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond via At-Large wrote:
> I have real issues taking seriously people who refer to
> "multistakeholderism" ... Or should we get back to absolute monarchy? :-)

I'd put it closer to an oligarchy or governance by trade guild rather
than monarchy.

I dusted off an old blog thing on the subject that I started writing six
years ago (!) but never published.  I don't consider it one of my better
pieces of writing.  But here it is:

Democracy Versus Stakeholderism

https://www.cavebear.com/cavebear-blog/stakeholder_sock_puppet/

(I didn't go into some potentially intriguing applications of the
stakeholder model.  For instance here in the US we have some states,
such as Texas, that are essentially eliminating rights of women to
obtain abortions.  If we were to fully honor the stakeholder model then
only real "stakeholders" in that matter are women, and thus under a true
stakeholder model of governance, women ought to be the only ones who
would have a voice in the decision to enact that law or not.)

     --karl--