[At-Large] ICANN Accountability Mechanisms

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 2 10:56:20 UTC 2022

On 31/12/21 4:26 am, Jeff Neuman via At-Large wrote:

>  1. I do not believe that my position with Dot Hip Hop, LLC as its
>     Chief Legal Officer and owner of a small minority interest of the
>     company presents a conflict.  I was put in those positions
>     (especially the ODP Liaison) because of my knowledge, skill, and
>     experience with the PDP for the next round.  (Dot Hip Hop, LLC was
>     in the 2012 round).  One other note, I did not update my Statement
>     of Interest because I was waiting for the actual approval of the
>     assignment request before disclosing.  Since Dot Hip Hop, LLC is a
>     shell entity without any assets until ICANN approves the
>     assignment, I didn’t disclose.  ICANN was supposed to have
>     approved the Assignment request in October and if they had met
>     their own deadline, I would have disclosed my position prior to
>     getting those positions.

As I said, this is really funny .. you need to disclose not after your
commercial interests are served, but even as you begin to pursue those
commercial interests which have a nexus with any public interest
position you have or are seeking .. In the public sector, you'd have not
just been dismissed, but subject to further serious inquiries and
possibly penalties.

>  1. I have committed to performing those roles with independence,
>     openness an transparency and believe that I have done that to
>     date.  If anyone believes otherwise, I would be happy to address,

This you know is an absolutely meaningless statement in this context.. a
red herring that no one is taken in by.

>  1. and if required, would step down.  I am not being paid by anyone
>     in serving in these leadership roles and do them both on a
>     volunteer basis.

Again, a red herring vis a vis the issue of not disclosing conflict of
interest when it was due for disclosure.

>  1.  I like to serve the ICANN Community and would like to continue to
>     make it a better place.  But, it is volunteer work that I would
>     give up if anyone honestly believes there is a conflict.  If you
>     have any concerns, let me know. I truly am an open book.  I think
>     at one time ICANN called me a “Bad M$#%F#$%” because I tell
>     everyone exactly what is on my mind.  I dont believe in secrets
>     (unless required by law or in serving as an attorney)

It is absolutely astonishing that someone who doesnt make due disclosure
of conflict of interest to public interest governance bodies  directly
related to commerical interests that one is actively pursuing is
actually able to declare that he doesnt believe in secrets.

And ah yes, you said if someone believes there is a conflict of interest
-- let me be direct - yes, I believe there is a huge and unsustainable
conflict in interest Let me know your response to this.

Though , not to be too harsh on you, it this airy, poorly conceived
multistakeholderist governance that creates the conditions for such
things, and maybe to that extent any particular individuals is less to
blame.

Meanwhile, I must also answer a direct question you asked this group --
Yes, I full oppose ICANN being vindictive with someone who has used its
accountability mechanisms. Happy to support you on that procedural front.

Best, parminder