[At-Large] ICANN Accountability Mechanisms

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jan 2 08:41:13 UTC 2022

No disrespect intended, but whoever thought and fantasied that demi-gods
could govern the Internet and Internet-mediated reality were the
original sinners :)

I am happy there were and are no demi gods for domain names or anything
subsequent ... The current 'we the good and responsible people' based
institutions around Internet/ digital are bad enough. I wonder if these
are inheritors of the 'demi-god' thinking, or at least justify
themselves upon it .. What with multi-stakeholderists, the insane belief
in the demi-god-ness of the start-up whizkids -- in developing countries
they wish to and are often allowed to run IT ministries, and so on.  I
much prefer democracy of perfectly ordinary people, and leaders that
believe in democracy of perfectly ordinary people. ..

(Yes, good and capable people do matter everywhere, and they matter a
lot. But right institutions may matter more.)

parminder