[At-Large] ICANN Accountability Mechanisms

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Jan 1 11:24:38 UTC 2022

For a more recent explanation of the workings of Governments (and
governing bodies should take note), may I suggest a UK Series "Yes
Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" which has been qualified by many as
being a documentary about government, rather than comedy.
For a few relevant snippets to our conversation:
What is government:
https://youtu.be/cIYfiRyPi3o

and

excuses:
https://youtu.be/6Y4PEqvk0Jg

Of course I recommend you get the whole series to watch. Then you'll be
much less bothered about how slow ICANN is.

Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 30/12/2021 19:16, Karl Auerbach via At-Large wrote:

> On 12/30/21 10:01 AM, Hank Nussbacher via At-Large wrote:
>> 3. ...  based on my experience with ICANN processes, a 4 month delay
>> is a mere second in ICANN time. I would start complaining only after
>> 4 years.
>
> An apt summary of the speed of ICANN procedures may be found in the
> works of Charles Dickens, most particularly Chapter 10 of /Little
> Dorrit/: "Containing the whole Science of Government"  (See
> https://www.cavebear.com/archive/cavebear/containing_the_whole_science_of_government.html
> )
>
> Here are the first two paragraphs:
>
>> The Circumlocution Office was (as everybody knows without being told)
>> the most important Department under Government. No public business of
>> any kind could possibly be done at any time without the acquiescence
>> of the Circumlocution Office. Its finger was in the largest public
>> pie, and in the smallest public tart.  It was equally impossible to
>> do the plainest right and to undo the plainest wrong without the
>> express authority of the Circumlocution Office.  If another Gunpowder
>> Plot had been discovered half an hour before the lighting of the
>> match, nobody would have been justified in saving the parliament
>> until there had been half a score of boards, half a bushel of
>> minutes, several sacks of official memoranda, and a family-vault full
>> of ungrammatical correspondence, on the part of the Circumlocution
>> Office.
>>
>> This glorious establishment had been early in the field, when the one
>> sublime principle involving the difficult art of governing a country,
>> was first distinctly revealed to statesmen.  It had been foremost to
>> study that bright revelation and to carry its shining influence
>> through the whole of the official proceedings.  Whatever was required
>> to be done, the Circumlocution Office was beforehand with all the
>> public departments in the art of perceiving--HOW NOT TO DO IT.
>>
>     --karl--

> At-Large Official Site:http://atlarge.icann.org

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html