[At-Large] ICANN Funding Request FY22-05

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri May 14 07:24:05 UTC 2021

Thanks for the support, Roberto

On Wed, 12 May 2021 at 15:44, Roberto Gaetano via At-Large <
at-large at atlarge-lists.icann.org> wrote:

> At the same time, I believe that Alx has a point when he calls for “a
> question whose answer is not yet known and is relevant to a decision to be
> made”.

I half agree.

I am fully onboard with asking questions to answer questions we don't
already know; it's not the aim of this effort to be redundant. But that is
a fairly open field, because ALAC has very little research on what the
world's end-users need from ICANN.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that the nature of the questions and
answers will be able to inform a specific decision because, frankly, I
don't think we'll be able to ask random end-users questions with an
ALAC-decision level of detail. (Imagine asking your parents or neighbours
for their thoughts on closed TLDs....)

Especially in a first limited go around with this level of funding, I think
the best we can ask for are answers that we can analyze to inform ALAC in a
general way of end-user priorities and views on high-level issues such as
abuse, trust and IDNs. To use Alex's phrasing, we may consider the project
a success if we are able to convert some "unknown knowns" into "known
knowns", and maybe during analysis unearth some "unknown unknowns" (that
upon discovery become "unknown knowns" to be researched at a later time).

- Evan