[At-Large] ICANN Funding Request FY22-05

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue May 11 15:05:57 UTC 2021

> Does a global survey is more expensive in terms of bandwidth costs than a
> regional pilot?

Really?

Is "Does it cost more to do a global survey than a regional one?" a useful
question?

I would especially like to hear from those who helped support Jonathan in
identifying the problem and making the original request. Responding that we
need to have a strategic approach to determining what we want to learn from
this effort, and then conducting the research based on that strategy, is
rather stating the obvious at this point.

The proposal is not final; it still needs to be approved by the Board. I
encourage Leon and Avri to support, and even advocate this when it comes on
their agenda. IMO this proposal is more than just a funded project; its
approval would be an unprecedented level of confidence in At-Large's
ability to engage in its own research, ask its own questions, and perform
its own analysis. Personally I have always felt that this is the only form
of "outreach" that actually helps ALAC to perform its bylaw mandate. If
granted it will be vital to deliver something useful, even if limited in
scope to accommodate the resources available.

To everyone who is interested in contributing meaningfully to this effort
-- assuming it is approved -- please start giving some thought to the
strategy of what we want from this. Once there is consensus on that I think
the questions will flow naturally.

Also consider that, depending on what we want from this effort, some of the
raw research may already exist and be available for purchase. We're not the
only ones who want to know the utility, safety and reliability of methods
of how the public finds content and services on the Internet.

- Evan