[At-Large] Presentation Tips

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat Jun 20 15:59:05 UTC 2020

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 11:16, Marita Moll <mmoll at ca.inter.net> wrote:

> Great tips Jonathan -- but we can't just take images from the web and
> stick them on powerpoints destined for a world wide audience and which will
> continue to exist in archives.

Why not? It depends on your source. Getting stuff randomly off the net
doesn't make something sustainable, but it can if you:

   - Download the image(s) and insert/embed rather than link;
   - Ask permission from the creator (if possible) or
   - Use  one of the many <https://unsplash.com/> sources
   <https://pixabay.com/> of royalty-free <https://www.pexels.com/> photos
   <https://www.freeimages.com/> and graphics <https://www.openclipart.org/>
   .

As for a worldwide audience, that's a factor when selecting images in the
first place so they're widely understood during your presentation as well
as archived.

For me, I try when possible to stick to the tried-and-true 10-20-30 rule
for presentations <https://guykawasaki.com/the_102030_rule/> created by VC
maven Guy Kawasaki. The rule means that presentations should *NOT*:

   - Have more than 10 slides
   - Be longer than 20 minutes
   - Have a font size smaller than 30 point.

While originally designed as instruction how a startup can best make a
pitch to investors, the rule is widely applicable as it considers the
purpose of slides (to support the presentation rather than BE it) and the
audience's attention span and ability to digest new information. While
coined in 2005, the rule has stood the test of time
<https://www.slidegenius.com/blog/guy-kawasakis-10-20-30-rule-presentation>
and is just as, if not more relevant now as then.

When I find in preparation that a presentation exceeds 20 minutes or 10
slides, I'll insert at a logical point a 5-10 minute rest -- Q&A, bathroom
break, whatever -- before starting the next set. I'm not always able to
hold steadfast to the rule but I always consider it and better have a good
reason for exceeding. It's served me well.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch / @el56