[At-Large] Fwd: ALERT: ICANN67 Public Meeting Will Now Be Remote Participation

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Feb 20 11:53:38 UTC 2020

Maybe if this forced experiment succeeds more meetings will be done this
way. Being more virtual provides a more-level playing field that reduces
opportunities for corridor lobbying and "squeaky wheel"-based policy making.

ALAC should press Constituency Travel to ensure that accommodations are
made for otherwise-funded participants who may have poor local internet.
Such assistance could be in the form of temporary subsidy for Internet
improvement or travel to the nearest location with video-streaming-capable
Internet access. ICANN's substantial cost savings realized through the
cancellation -- even considering forfeited deposits -- should more than
cover any cost of ensuring that the ALAC 25 as well as others who are
typically funded are not disadvantaged because of poor connectivity at home.

- Evan

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 at 21:02, Maureen Hilyard <maureen.hilyard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Subject: ALERT: ICANN67 Public Meeting Will Now Be Remote Participation
>
> [image: Header Image]
>

> Dear Ms. Maureen Hilyard:
>
> The ICANN67 Public Meeting, which was to be held in Cancún, Mexico, will
> now be held via remote participation-only. This decision was made as a
> result of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, considered a public
> health emergency of international concern by the World Health Organization
> <https://www.who.int/>. Please read the full announcement here
> <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2020-02-19-en>.
>
> A modified remote participation schedule for ICANN67, scheduled for 7-12
> March 2020, will be released soon at https://67.schedule.icann.org.
>
> The community will have many questions about travel arrangements,
> scheduling, and other meeting-related issues. In addition to the modified
> ICANN67 schedule, ICANN will also publish a Frequently Asked Questions
> (FAQs) page to https://icann.org soon and make further announcements as
> more information becomes available.
>
> ICANN thanks its regional partners in Latin America and the Caribbean
> (LAC) who had worked tirelessly to host this meeting in Cancún. We
> appreciate their understanding and we look forward to returning to the LAC
> region for ICANN70 in 2021.
>
> ------------------------------
>

> Funded Travelers, including ICANN Board, Staff, or Support, will receive
> an additional email communication from the Travel Support
> team concerning flights, hotels, and other accommodations.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Keep up to date on ICANN67-related news by following ICANN on social media:
>      https://twitter.com/icann
>      https://www.twitter.com/icann_es
>      https://www.linkedin.com/company/icann
>      https://www.facebook.com/icannorg
>      https://www.flickr.com/photos/icann
>      https://www.youtube.com/user/ICANNnews
>      https://www.instagram.com/icannorg
>

> Don't forget to "Opt In" for emails if you want to receive information
> about ICANN Public Meetings. These emails can include invitations to join
> the mobile app, build a personal schedule, and signup for the #ICANN67
> Newsletter. ICANN will not sell or share your name or email address with
> third parties for commercial or marketing purposes.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> SCHEDULE AND MOBILE APP
> Visit https://67.schedule.icann.org to take advantage of the website
> features which allow you to:
>
>    - Build a personalized schedule of sessions.
>    - Review and download session materials.
>    - Schedule 1:1 meetings with other attendees.
>    - View the profiles and interests of the other attendees.
>    - Discover which contacts from Twitter and LinkedIn are also
>    attending.
>    - Join the conversations we're having about the topics that are
>    critical to our industry today.

> We look forward to involvement in this remote participation meeting!
>
> Best regards,

> [...]

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56