[At-Large] [BMSPC-2020] Board seat 15 selection

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 07:07:05 UTC 2019

Alan,

> So as much as I would be delighted to report that the Board considered the output of ATLAS I in great detail and took action on it (at a time where most input from the ALAC was not even acknowledged, never mind acted on), I believe that the recommendation from the Board's own ALAC Review WG was the trigger for the action.

This is correct.
I was the Vice-Chair of the Board at that time - as well as the Chair of the Structural Improvement Committee, the one that was coordinating the review WGs - and can tell you that it has been an uphill fight as some of the Board members were still thinking that ALAC was just a bit more than windows dressing and did not deserve too much attention. The Working Groups, on the other hand, were composed inter alia by carefully chosen former Board members and their opinion was instrumental to the final compromise decision.
But this should not lead us to think that recommendations from ATLAS do not carry weight. Now the situation has changed dramatically, ALAC has demonstrated its capabilities and the contribution it provides to ICANN is substantial. The good reputation that ALAC has earned gives much more weight to its statements than it was 10 years ago.
Cheers,
Roberto