[At-Large] [GTLD-WG] [CPWG] [registration-issues-wg] Planning for Round Two of New gTLDS is open?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Jul 2 09:29:08 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 04:59, Kaili Kan <kankaili at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I also believe that we have at least one point in common.  That
> is, let the market decide.  So, I am NOT against ICANN going for another
> round of new gTLDs.  As a matter of fact, I would suggest to eliminate the
> "rounds", and go for a continuous and  unlimited supply of new gTLDs.  That
> is, as long as anybody is willing to pay a fee and wait for a few months of
> contentious period, he/she may get the new gTLD wanted.  This way, the
> market itself will tell us when the saturation point has been reached.  Of
> course, if this scheme is adopted, measures to protect end-users' interests
> (and of other parties) as suggested in the CCT-RT report MUST take place
> simultaneously.

ICANN past practice has been to roll out new rounds without any
public-interest preconditions.
What gives you confidence that this time, the things that you say MUST
happen actually will happen?
What is the incentive for ICANN to institute those measures? What are the
consequences of not doing them?

- Evan