[At-Large] - Price caps - was: The Case for Regulatory Capture at ICANN | Review Signal Blog

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jul 1 22:47:31 UTC 2019

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 at 18:31, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

>    1. 99% of what ICANN does is plain old economic, legal, or cultural
> social engineering.  The claim that ICANN is so very technical that it
> can not be comprehended by normal people is a claim that does not
> survive inspection.

For example, the recent discussion of price caps and trademark use of
> domain names are discussions without a whit of internet technical
> complexity and are exactly the kinds of things upon which normal people
> everywhere routinely have cogent opinions.

I challenge you to try putting that theory into practice. Take a random
member of your family or a neighbour who does not work in IT, plunk them
down into a PDP of your choosing, and see how far you get.

It's not just comprehension of the basics, it's the level of technical.
legal, bureaucratic and diplomatic skills needed to navigate the simplest
of ICANN processes. It's been made overly complex deliberately to provide
barriers to entry for the non-committed.
Furthermore I daresay you may, through your own depth of experience,
overestimate the lay person's understanding of how the Internet works.

- Evan