[At-Large] - Price caps - was: The Case for Regulatory Capture at ICANN | Review Signal Blog

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Jul 1 20:31:18 UTC 2019

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 at 16:12, Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> Lobbyists would have to convince voters or convince the board members (hopefully
> via open and transparent means.)

That assumes a  change in current process, by which a supermajority of the
GNSO (ie, the domain buying-selling cartel) can essentially compel the
Board to follow its wishes regardless of public interest or composition of
the Board. Under the current system, the audiences to be convinced by
lobbyists (ie, the constituencies of the GNSO) is much smaller. Indeed the
lobbyists are already deeply embedded on the inside.

It sounds like advocacy for a return to something resembling the pre-ALAC
ICANN board election processes. Not optimal, though better than we have
now, but it requires blowing up everything that happened in the IANA
transition and the culture that led to it. Expecting that to happen without
external forces intervening is living in more of a world of pink ponies and
unicorns than I've ever conceived.
- Evan