[At-Large] - Price caps - was: The Case for Regulatory Capture at ICANN | Review Signal Blog

Lance Hinds brainstreetceo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 17:05:52 UTC 2019

"When I think of my personal role in ALAC I am not defending the interests
of myself, but rather of my family members, friends and colleagues who can
barely boot up their laptops and for whom I'm usually tech support -- how
does ICANN's work affect them? At my peak of ALAC involvement I had a
challenge keeping up with all the moving parts, most of which has been made
overly complex so to deter the amateurs. Little has changed. We talk a good
game about outreach but it takes a special kind of masochism for someone to
be sufficiently capable in ICANN processes who does not have a financial
interest in its decisions. Its also expensive, even for those who are
subsidized."

Amen

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 12:42 PM Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 at 04:20, Roberto Gaetano <roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Given the entrenchment of social darwinism -- well-expressed by Karl --
>> deep inside ICANN's culture, I have serious concerns about its willingness
>> -- let alone ability -- to yield to even the middle ground you suggest. If
>> that is the case, is even seeking a middle ground worth the effort?
>>

>> And the alternative is?
>>

> I don't know. There seems little more that we can do from the side of
> moderation to convince the status quo to yield anything. That's one of the
> reasons I have withdrawn from deep participation in ICANN, after a a long
> time trying I have concluded that the task looks futile. To me it appears
> that the Internet will do what it does best, rerouting around obstacles,
> including the obstacle called ICANN. A a result, there is an increasing
> trend to go beyond "memorable" domain names. (As Jonathan knows, I wanted
> that issue to be front-and-centre in CCT investigations.) One could even
> make a reasonable case that Google and Facebook would not be so dominant in
> the Internet now had domain names had been usefully deployed. But it's too
> late to reboot that.
>
> In fact, IMO things have become worse not better. The IANA transition
> eliminated ICANN's last shred of external accountability, leaving control
> in an "empowered" (100%-pure Doublespeak) community that makes the Board
> only really accountable to those inside the bubble. It's no surprise that
> voices against ALAC have risen as the level of industry entitlement grows,
> seemingly without limit. See threads elsewhere about a new gTLD expansion
> round coming, clearly desired by nobody but the domain industry, but coming
> nonetheless.  IMO, ALAC is utterly powerless to affect change, especially
> given its lack of focus. This is why I concentrate my current participation
> here on focusing ALAC to understand and advance end-user needs exclusively;
> it's our best shot at remaining relevant.
>
> In the end, only some kind of external stimulus will prod ICANN to change
> course. Unprotected by treaty, I believe that eventually ICANN will
> encounter ever-more hostility at the ITU, by individual states or blocs of
> states. Or perhaps there will be some event or action, a scandal that
> publicly exposes the culture of corruption and/or lack of
> public-mindedness. Eventually ICANN's arrogance will push even neutral
> players to determine that a change is in order, that even the feared
> multilateralism can't be worse than what exists now. What I don't know is
> whether ICANN's "Entitled Community" (which is the proper name for it) will
> see the threat in time enough to change, or whether it will remain
> oblivious and/or defiant right until catastrophic change. I have a genuine
> concern about the potential damage to the technical components of ICANN
> which generally work well, that would come with an overhaul of the
> [...]

Lance Hinds
Chief Technology Officer
BrainStreet Group
287 'C' Albert St.
Georgetown Guyana

This message contains information that may be privileged and/or
confidential and is the property of BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet
Learning. The information contained herein is intended only for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to
receive it . If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized
to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or take  any action
in reliance to the contents of this information or any part thereof and it
may be unlawful to do so. If you receive this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message from
your system. BrainStreet Technologies or BrainStreet Learning are neither
liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information
contained in this communication nor any delay in its receipt.