[At-Large] - Price caps - was: The Case for Regulatory Capture at ICANN | Review Signal Blog

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sun Jun 30 07:22:25 UTC 2019

It is not often that someone characterized me as supporting the status
quo at ICANN.  ;-)

I am in strong agreement with Evan that the stakeholder model is a failure.

I, obviously am a staunch advocate of absolute bottom up - by humans -
governance.  But I know that I'm not winning that argument.

Political and economic forces are building that may drive the net to
regionalize - either around nations, big companies [e.g. Facebook or
Google], or institutions [e.g. the US military] .  And that could bring
a plethora of mechanisms, possibly inconsistent. My own sense is to
prepare for that and seek mitigations rather than to try to resist to
the last breath.

What to do about ICANN?  Well, first we should agree upon the job(s)
that ICANN, or a constellation of ICANN spin-offs, should be doing.
(And, similarly, what it should not be doing.)

I've always felt that ICANN was too vaguely defined - for instance has
ICANN ever come up with a definition of what is this "Internet" that
they are dealing with?  (Until now this has been a somewhat academic
complaint, but there are non-technical forces afoot that may make this
quite important.)

Much as I like to make noises about competing DNS roots, I recognize
that the current system, technically, is quite well run and that there
is no reason for technical changes to the operations of the vastly
dominant DNS root system.  (There are reasons to consider new protocols
post DNS, but that's another topic altogether.)  Political forces may
drive the world to have multiple, but I hope largely consistent, root
systems.  And we are in luck that DNSSEC can still work in such a
universe.  But ICANN and the root server operators have set a standard
of technical performance that aspirants will have to work hard to match.

The IETF and ICANN have done a rather good job of dealing with the
linguistic and cultural issues - it's hard to stuff all of those issues
into what is really a sequence of no more than 256 bytes/octets composed
of chunks each no larger than 64 octets.

And the IETF and ICANN can declare the provisioning protocols used by
registrars and registries to be a success.

ICANN (and IANA and the IETF) can claim success in getting DNSSEC in
place (even if it is still under-utilized.)

I don't agree with the business model that ICANN has imposed - but it is
here and in place; we can't just cancel it.  (But we can slowly change it.)

But while that business model structure is in place - and it will be in
place for a long time - part of ICANN needs to manage it. But I don't
think that that management needs to be in one unified ICANN entity.
Some parts could be entirely spun off - IANA really needs no tie to
ICANN at all - it's tie to ICANN is merely a matter of administrative
convenience (and if IANA is spun-off, it would take the ties to the
RIR's with it.)  It would be a small thing, but ICANN could relinquish
the L root server job to another organization.

It's in the business practices area and the bias in favor of
intellectual property rights over other rights where ICANN is most in
need of serious reform.

Thee are some parts which could be split out and about which I think we
could come to an agreement - for example, a chunk of ICANN that makes
sure that "contracted parties" actually adhere to the contracts and
respond to the public could be a useful and well confined spin-out.

Similarly, as was mentioned the other day - the gap between legacy TLD
registry costs and the ICANN defined registry fee (which is what the
price-cap removal stuff is all about) ought to accrue to a
public-spirited ICANN spin-off rather than the legacy registry.  We can
argue about the level of the mandated registry fee, but that's a
separate issue and involves a long and difficult discussion whether
ICANN (and ICANN mandated pricing) ought to be used as a tool to fight
some internet evils or whether that should be done by other means.

The three-way fight between registrants, trademark protectors, and law
enforcement over "whois" and accuracy will continue no matter what we
do.  But the stakeholder model has, in my opinion, given too little
weight to those whose most immediate interest is privacy (I don't think
that anyone is saying that IP rights or law enforcement are not
important interests, rather this is a debate about relative weights of
the interests and procedures to protect those interests.)

There was a small tweak to the stakeholder system that I suggested
decades ago but was roundly ignored but which I still feel could be of
value: This would be to require credentials from those claiming
stakeholder roles.  For instance, does ICANN validate that those
representing corporations actually have the permission of the
corporation to speak in ICANN on the corporations' behalf.  Same for
those who claim to represent governments - do they really have the
credentials from the proper authorities in those governments to act
within ICANN?  Such a requirement might fill those seats with people who
have a more synoptic, broad point of view that encompasses more than
whatever narrow issue drove that person to engage with ICANN.

An overall issue for ICANN is its tendency for expansion of both of its
role and the size of its org chart.  Even though revenue is down there
is still too much of it that is giving people ideas about new things to
do.  And the number of employees has grown beyond my comprehension.  (I
too often hear conversations that are almost as if they were a Hollywood
movie studio looking for the next sequel of some successful film -
ICANN, the Ultimate Generation To the Stars and Beyond....)  I believe
that the stakeholder model has contributed its piece to this desire to
extend, as has the tsunami of cash from the big round of TLDs a few
years back.  But I think the largest cause has been a long held practice
of ICANN's Board of Directors to hire "big name" Presidents (at ever
more grand salaries) and let that person run the shop with relatively
weak oversight or constraint from the board thus resulting in mission
creep - or mission gallop - and ever growing org charts and staff.

     --karl--