[At-Large] Say Whut!

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:24:24 UTC 2018

I have been asked directly my views on the At-Large place in the ICANN
comunity and specifically, the role of the ALAC.

First, my strategic and operational views - what we might do and how we
ought to do that - have not changed and are outlined in the R3 Paper
co-authored with Evan, Jean Jacque [Subrenat] and a few others.  The
principal R3 pleading is for a more strategic ALAC role and, tacking to an
operational profile similar to the SSAC's; fewer and more authoritative
publications/utterings.

Second, I have always believed that the At-Large can exert more influence
by participating in PDP WGs, that is, in the guts of the policy-setting
process. This means more of us must step up ready to play the long game.
Yes, some internal WGs are useful for sunshine to overarching issues and
maybe, extracting consensus At-Large positions. I do not believe direct
engagement in the PDP WGs are much more useful for advancing the At-Large
agenda and identifying collaborators in other groups. This posture requires
a lot of work for individuals but from my view, a greater At-Large's
interaction in this space will do more to advance the At-Large agenda than
anywhere else.

With specific reference to the Applicant Support PDP, I served as Co-Chair
and I know several of us, like Dev and Lance and certainly Evan included,
were heavily invested in those outcomes. We did not get all we wanted and
its implementation was certainly not what was anticipated.  However, the
results reinforced my thinking on the approach we must take for results to
matter and firmed up my belief that more At-Large interests engaged could
have engendered better outcomes.

-Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Process, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround*