[At-Large] Say Whut!

sivasubramanian muthusamy 6.internet at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:36:04 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 5:58 PM Evan Leibovitch <evanleibovitch at gmail.com
wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Given my experiences and observations... While I have totally stayed away
> from the last At-Large review, I did one myself as a personal mental
> exercise.
>
> The conclusion I came to is that the current structure underneath ALAC is
> overly politicized, appeals to superficial airs of importance, and is at
> its core designed to be utterly impotent in regard to serving its bylaw
> mandate.
>
> Were I to be engaged in a real exercise to enable ALAC to serve its bylaw
> mandate, I would wish to eliminate ALSs and move to fully individual
> membership in RALOs. I would reduce travel and invest more in vitual
> meeting technologies. I would also concentrate ALAC activity in ONLY three
> areas:

------

The suggestions above sound too drastic to take sides with. However:

> - Creation and distribution of plain language public education on the DNS
> and how it affects public use of the internet (written independently of
> ICANN itself)

Yes. If DNS is demystified there would be greater user participation.

> - surveys and R&D into public needs and opinions about domain names and
> the DNS

+1.  A considerable amount of R&D could happen through social media, not
necessarily by votes, even by 'likes' and reactions to non-commercially
promoted posts and tweets

> - analysis of the result of such research, and development of ICANN input
> based on that (both in original policy initiatives and response to existing
> activity)

Needs to go even beyond that. ALAC could become more emphatic on Cross
Community PDPs.

Sivasubramanian M