[At-Large] [lac-discuss-en] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista

Sivasubramanian M 6.Internet at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:39:01 UTC 2018

Dear Barry,

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 3:21 PM Sivasubramanian M <6.Internet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018, 6:18 AM <bzs at theworld.com> wrote:
>

>> I think I understand what you are saying well enough and appreciate it.
>>
>> My concern is: By what mechanism would this current system be reformed?

Current system needs to improve from within. By a range of measures,
patiently, with a Master Plan that is comprehensive, not in disconnected
bits and pieces that get swallowed up.

>> If, as not only I have alluded to, it suffers from industry capture
>> what mechanism would improve that?

Cross community attention to bring about a balance. The task at hand is to
elevate the organization.

>> As I said the only mechanism I can think of is altruism which isn't
>> generally reliable tho possible. Again, there are quite a few very
>> fair-minded individuals involved.

Altruism exists to a greater degree than meets the eye. There is more
goodness in ICANN than visible.  There are committed participants, some of
them somewhat inert, but there are many who would take a stand.

>> One could say I just argued myself into a corner.
>>
>> If no mechanism exists or is likely then why discuss it

We discuss to find answers ...

> AL HARRISON
> Do you know what we’re doing here?
> KATHERINE
> We’re trying to put a man in space, sir.
> AL HARRISON
> What I’m asking you..what I’m asking
> everyone one in that room, all my geniuses, is to look beyond the numbers.
> To look around them. Through them. For
> answers to questions we don’t even know to ask. Math that doesn’t yet
> exist.
>
> from Hidden Figures - 5/9/2016 - Shooting Draft:
>

>> Perhaps the only hope is taking to the barricades, or seeking some
>> other external force majeur. Neither are particularly appealing.

Not necessarily not appealing. Depends on who or what the force majeur is
and how detatched the assistance is.

Sivasubramanian M