[At-Large] [lac-discuss-en] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Mon Jul 16 23:01:46 UTC 2018

On July 16, 2018 at 15:28 roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com (Roberto Gaetano) wrote:
 > It is of course a risk that the multi-stakeholder model be tilted towards the
 > interests of one part of the stakeholders - this is why, incidentally, Fadi was
 > talking about *global* *equal* multi-stakeholder (“GEMS") model.
 > That there is a potential corruption of the model is no good reason for
 > rejecting it, in particular in lack of a better system. So I would argue that
 > the way to go is to make sure that the voice of the different stakeholders
 > compose with the requirement of being “global” (meaning all have a chance to
 > get to the table) and “equal” (meaning all have the same voice).
 > In practice, civil society, because of the inherent limitations about financial
 > power, should be subsidised to participate, and civil society itself has to
 > make sure that it avoids infiltration of lobbyists among its rank and file.
 > Cheers,

You are proposing possible reforms. I am largely addressing past and
present practices.

The problem isn't the potential corruption, we can look at
organizations which claim to practice multistakeholderism.

The problem is whether the game theory is fundamentally broken.

If, for example, there is no binding connection between those
producing and approving policies and those whom those policies affect
then how might any reform occur?

Particularly where the policy process is working in the interests of
the only people who might have the ability to reform the model?

To use an expression why would the foxes advocate better fencing
around the hen house?

The only channel I can imagine is altruism which may not be entirely
impossible -- I'd agree there are some very fair-minded people
involved -- but that is a lot to hope for.

--
        -Barry Shein