[At-Large] [lac-discuss-en] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista

Kan Kaili kankaili at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 06:23:46 UTC 2018

Thank you, Evan, for providing this wonderful document "A Call for ICANN to Embrace its Inner Regulator".  It is hereby attached for anybody interested, and the following is a quote from it:

The first step in solving any problem lies in the admission that a problem exists. The next step is
the recognition that ICANN must assume the role analogous to that of a regulator, that it is so
well positioned to be.
In its aim to achieve international acceptance as a regulatory body, ICANN must be prepared for
significant change that more effectively asserts the public interest as the catalyst of, rather than
the response to, ICANN policy. In particular, while the multi-stakeholder model needs to be
maintained, its current form should be inverted -- that the public interest bodies initiate policy
directions and the industry serves in an advisory function.

In summary:
● Denial of regulatory function prevents ICANN from sufficiently serving the public interest;
● In the absence of a regulatory authority, ICANN has been captured by the industry it has
the duty to oversee, and has become dependent on its growth regardless of public-
interest consequences;
● This situation has isolated ICANN from the public it is supposed to serve, provoking both
public authority and the marketplace to actively seek alternatives to an ICANN-managed
DNS;
● ICANN must recognize this deficiency and assume a role analogous to that of a
regulator -- refocused on the public interest -- if it is to maintain its position of preference
amongst the alternatives.
● Such a refocus demands redefining the global public interest as the initiator and driver of
ICANN policy rather than its current status of reactive adviso

Kaili