[At-Large] [lac-discuss-en] Vistaprint is abandoning .vista

Evan Leibovitch evanleibovitch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 21:34:02 UTC 2018

Every ICANN president has vigorously asserted that ICANN is not a
regulator. This is not merely a casual opinion, it is a demand imposed upon
them by ICANN's lawyers. To admit that ICANN is a regulator - - or even
provides some regulatory function - - is to invite even deeper state
scrutiny and attempts to make ICANN into a multilateral, treaty-based body
than now exists.

In a submission to ICANN's Accountability and Transparency review team more
than a decade ago, a number of At-Large members submitted an analysis that
called on ICANN to recognize the obvious and embrace its inner regulator:

https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-atrt2-02apr13/pdfNKvEtbrZ3u.pdf

Not much has changed. While a few references are dated, the paper's
observations and commentaries are as valid now as then.

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto
@evanleibovitch/@el56