sala at pasifikanexus.nu
Tue Oct 31 01:38:09 UTC 2017
1. Noting that the WT5 Track is on November 1 and post Tatiana's call on
the NCSG listserv for those who are interested to join the discussions, I
2. There is no archived mailing list as the work of the WT5 will
commence on the November 1. I also sought clarification from Martin, the
co-chair of the WT5 where there were any archived discussions with which to
catch up on.
3. A friend on the GAC recently posted a picture at Abu Dhabi stating
that the GAC had published another consensus statement on the AMAZON. I am
still waiting to see the actual published statement.
4. In any event, noting that the WT5 will seek to focus on *the
treatment of geographical names at the Top Level.*
5. Below in "blue" is the first email, I sent the Mailing List on WT5.
All discussions are archived and publicly available via
6. Given that November 1, 2017 is almost at the door, I decided to send
the email and to also show you a "copy" of what I sent.
7. If from my list, you feel that there are other things, I should read
up on, that transpired, please let me know.
8. I would also be interested to see previous ALAC statements on the
"geographical names" issue, or perhaps you could point me to a link and I
could browse through. [Dev and Carlton???] Feel free to email me off list.
Warm Greetings from Fiji! I trust that you are all well at the ICANN 60
meeting in Abu Dhabi. I note that there is a meeting on November, 1st
for Work Track 5 (WT5) of the GNSO Subsequent Procedures PDP WG. Thank you
Martin for opening the call for Volunteers in your capacity as co-Leader
As a matter of introduction, my name is Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro and
usually called Sala. Many years ago, I served on the ALAC. I am a member of
the At Large Community by virtue of my membership of two accredited At
Large Organizations one an ISOC Chapter and the other the South Pacific
Computer Society. I am also a member of the Non Commercial Stakeholder
Group (NCSG). I currently serve on the Multistakeholder Advisory Group
(MAG) that assists the IGF Secretariat and Host Governments in convening
the Internet Governance Forums.
1. I come with an open mind to learn from each of you on the Track and
also to exchange views and seek ways to focus on the treatment of
geographic names at the top-level.
2. I was wondering what subsequently transpired following the* Independent
ICDR No. 01-16-0000-7056 in July 2017 via International Dispute
Resolution between Amazon and ICANN, post the Review
3. Noting the ICANN Board Resolution
the 23rd of September, 2017 and the Resolution Text
4. Historical Overview
David Stone on the Amazon saga.
5. Noting that one of the pillars and core of Amazon's Argument lies in
the interpretation of the TRIPS Agreement where they argue that there can
be no "false claims" to geographical names.
6. Clearly, there are many things to learn from each other in the Work
Track, noting that interest in this topic and divergent views express
across the ICANN community.
7. On this list, I personally do not represent the views of the
constituencies, I belong to and so the views expressed in this Track will
largely be my personal views unless otherwise expressed. Community views
obviously will need endorsement from within the communities.
8. I am looking forward to the calls and dialogue that will focus on the
treatment of geographic names on the top level.
9. If there are any key things I have missed that you think would be
worth reading, please let me know.
10. Have a good day or evening wherever in the world you are. :)
P.O Box 17862
Cell: +679 7656770
Tel: +679 3362003
E: sala at pasifikanexus.nu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the At-Large