[At-Large] Auction Proceeds - where we are and what you can help

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sun May 14 22:37:46 UTC 2017

On May 14, 2017 at 18:08 evan at telly.org (Evan Leibovitch) wrote:
 > On 14 May 2017 at 17:08, <bzs at theworld.com> wrote:
 >

 >     Personally I believe the $175K charge per gTLD app was far too low, it
 >     should have been at least 10x that.
 >

 > ​I agree. I also personally that upping ICANN fees tenfold so that 2nd level
 > domains are at least $75/year would have inhibited speculation, redundant and
 > defensive domains, yet been a ​negligible additional expense to the operation
 > of a genuine web presence. (And the extra revenue could have gone towards
 > active enforcement of DNS accuracy.)
 >
 > ​But that ship has long sailed and isn't coming back. The domain industry, in
 > its dominance of policy, has made ICANN dependent upon the revenue from all the
 > speculative and defensive registrations.​

Probably not apropos to this list but what's the plan for the 2nd
round? To set a similar price which seems comfortable to the
registries and registrars around the table only to once again see the
really good TLDs snatched up by deep pockets who see $175K as
walking-around money?

I suppose that is apropos since that's how the auction pot grew,
basically the proceeds of stealing candy from babies.

--
        -Barry Shein