[At-Large] Auction Proceeds - where we are and what you can help

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun May 14 22:08:54 UTC 2017

On 14 May 2017 at 17:08, <bzs at theworld.com> wrote:

> Personally I believe the $175K charge per gTLD app was far too low, it
> should have been at least 10x that.

​I agree. I also personally that upping ICANN fees tenfold so that 2nd
level domains are at least $75/year would have inhibited speculation,
redundant and defensive domains, yet been a ​negligible additional expense
to the operation of a genuine web presence. (And the extra revenue could
have gone towards active enforcement of DNS accuracy.)

​But that ship has long sailed and isn't coming back. The domain industry,
in its dominance of policy, has made ICANN dependent upon the revenue from
all the speculative and defensive registrations.​

​- Evan​