[At-Large] Auction Proceeds - where we are and what you can help

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sat May 13 19:26:17 UTC 2017

On 13 May 2017 at 08:22, Kan Kaili <kankaili at gmail.com> wrote:

> I may not disagree with your arguments.  However, regarding calculating
> the "costs", that is only next to impossible.

​And that is at the heart of the issue. Just how much would you refund? ​

​The devil is in the details. The GNSO policy was clearly about
cost-recovery. and I would argue that the sunk costs specific to that round
are reasonable to be recovered by the fees.

And then we spend more time debating the amount of refund than we spent
rolling out the next round...

Also: the POTS analogy doesn't work, since we are not talking costs of
physical infrastructure. We can accurately count the person-hours spent in
designing the program, especially that which was expended on that round
alone.​

>From the above exmples, I believe you can already see the complexity of
> calculating the "real cost" of the new gTLD program.  Simply said, I do not
> believe in any claims of the "real cost", becuase it does not exist at all.

​I am not sure that I follow the logic that asserting that "the real cost
is complex to calculate" leads to conclusion of "the real cost does not
exist at all".​

​- Evan​