[At-Large] Auction Proceeds - where we are and what you can help

Eduardo Diaz eduardodiazrivera at gmail.com
Thu May 11 18:09:01 UTC 2017

Vanda:

My comments in RED.

-ed

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:48 AM Vanda Scartezini <vanda at scartezini.org>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues ( Español abajo)
>

> Auction Proceed CCWG is the group dealing with the process that shall be
> follow for the financial resources from new gTLDs auctions as you remember.
>
> We are in the phase of Auction Proceeds CCWG  where we need to focus on to
> relevant points that your ideas will be very welcome. See below the
> question and if you can comment I appreciate.
>
> We are organizing a framework for this work,
>

> ·         As part of this framework, what will be the limitations of fund
> allocation, factoring in that the funds need to be used in line with
> ICANN’s mission while at the same time recognizing the diversity of
> communities that ICANN serves? This should include recommendations on how
> to assess whether the proposed use is aligned with ICANN’s Mission.
> Furthermore consideration is expected to be given to what safeguards, if
> any, need to be in place.

There should not be a limitation of fund allocations. However, you can use
a series of tiers. FOr example:

Tier 1: $X - $Y
Tier 2: $Y+1 $#Z

and so forth.

For each tier there should be different requiuerements. These requirements
should be more stringent as the $$ amount increases.

Create a framework of interpretation around ICANN missions to help identify
and guide if the money to be allocated is or is not in concordance with
ICANN Mission. Such a framework is important to standarize the allocation
process. A series of stress tests models should be created to validate the
allocation

For example, it will be a requierement that for a $1,000,000 allocation
(the amount is just for illustration purposes only) the community has to be
involved in the final decision.

> ·         What aspects should be considered to define a timeframe, if
> any, for the funds allocation mechanism to operate as well as the
> disbursements of funds? E.g. The timeframe for the operation of this new
> mechanism may provide the opportunity for long term support, or for funding
> to be released in tranches linked to milestone achievements, single or
> multiple disbursements.

1. Determine fund allocation: 90 days max.
2. Allocate 30% funds at approval time
3. Disburse 40$% of the allocation using specific milestones for the
duration of the project
4. Disburse the last 30% at completion

Use the aboe as a guideline and put a process in place to work with
exceptions to the guideline.